Monday, August 25, 2014

Fried Okra Tacos

I love okra season. I wish it was year round...but because that's not possible, during the months of August and September I make it as often and in as many ways as I can. I also freeze several bags so I can enjoy in December (even though it's not quite the same). 

My hands down absolute favorite way to enjoy okra is fried up in these tacos. Melt in your mouth good. Please trust me on this and go get the ingredients tomorrow! You will never look at okra the same way again, y'all.

Ingredients
For the okra:
1 lb okra, washed and cut into ½ inch slices
¾ cup self-rising buttermilk cornmeal

1 tsp each salt & pepper
¼ tsp garlic powder & red pepper flakes
a handful of pickled jalapenos (optional)
canola oil

For the taco fixings:
flour tortillas
tomatoes, chopped
green onions, diced
black olives, sliced
lettuce, shredded
Monterey jack cheese, shredded
avocado or guacamole 

Heat oil in cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Meanwhile, take cut up okra (and jalapenos if you want an extra kick of flavor), corn meal and spices and shake together in a large ziplock. 

Once oil is nice and hot (this is key to good frying) pour okra into pan. Let cook on one side 7-8 minutes, flip once and cook on remaining side 7-8 minutes or until golden brown.

Load up your tortillas with all the fixings and top with okra. Enjoy, y'all!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment