Sunday, March 4, 2012

Good Ol' Chili


Sorry y'all. I am so behind on my blogging! Life has been busy...and I honestly have not being doing my desired share of cooking these days. Nausea and aversions to certain smells haven't really allowed for me to expand upon my culinary adventures.

That's right. You guessed it. Scott and I are expecting! Almost at the 13 week mark...and through the first trimester...so hoping I am over the sickness blues. With that said you may see some random dishes coming through here because it's all dependent upon what I am craving that day!

It's still cold in Ohio so chili remains on my menu. This is a classic recipe that would be good any way you serve it - frito chili pie style like above, with crackers, on a hot dog (it is almost baseball season), or just by itself. Indulge yourself in one of man's favorite foods:


Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 lbs lean ground beef
2-3 small white onions, chopped
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, drained
1 (14.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes & green chilies
1 (14.5 oz) can beef broth (I substituted an additional beef bouillon cube with a cup of water)
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
2 teaspoons oregano
1 cube beef bouillon
1 teaspoon cumin
shredded cheddar cheese, avocado & tomatoes (optional)

In a large skillet, over medium heat, warm oil and add beef, onion, salt and pepper. Cook until beef is browned. Drain fat..

Add all remaining ingredients, except for optional items, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. 

Reduce heat to low and cook for an additional hour. Stir and serve with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped avocado and sliced grape tomatoes. Yum in my pregnant tum. If you prefer chicken over beef, I've also got an alternative recipe here!

Enjoy!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment